Monday, October 5, 2009

Short on Reading?

"Short on Reading" is a new Noticias weekly feature that former Uber-Editor Molly Sroges writes every week. While I don't always have time to read the books Molly suggests, I do love reading her reviews!

"Short on Reading"
by Molly Sroges

Life of Pi by Yann Martel
By now, there is a good chance you're familiar with Yann Martel's Life of Pi: a young boy stuck in a lifeboat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with a tiger. I will tell you something else: Pi has three religions, and that's why I opened the book. By the time I closed it, it had found its place among my favorites. I have heard others argue that it drags, it's unbelievable, and it's just downright weird, but you have to try it for yourself before you can criticize it. A bit of advice if you do pick it up: read the Author's Note at the beginning. It's more of a prologue really.

It's the book for you if... you dare to believe in God.

2 comments:

drldonovan said...

This is a wonderful book! I am so glad you posted about it. I think it is one of those nearly "have to" reads for any person who wants to be well educated and well read these days.

Sammie D said...

First: Hello Andrea!
Second: I completely agree! I found the enigmatic ending to be one of the best parts, though many argued it was frustrating. But decide for yourself! It's an amazing journey either way.